Photobucket           Photobucket            Photobucket           Photobucket

Friday 10 January 2014

Dolly Wink Replica! and Why I Think Neither is Worth Buying


Hello everyone! Today I'm gonna talk about Dolly Wink Eyebrow Mascara. Originally I called this post "Dolly Wink Dupe", hence you will see the word dupe in most, if not all, of the photos. But it was pointed out to me that "dupe" means that a different brand is copying another product. However, this post is about copying a product and trying to make it look exactly the same as the original. Thus, whenever you see the word "dupe", change it to "replica".

Anyway, I got the original one from Amazon Japan (here is a link to my haul post for that one), while the fake one was an omiyage from my cousin who got it from a facebook seller. So for this post I'll be showing you guys a comparison of the two. I'll also show you other Dolly Wink products that have fake versions. And while I'm at it, I'll also be reviewing the original one, which comes in the shade number 2 Mocha. Let me tell you now that I do NOT like this product and I won't be buying it again. Now unto the comparison!

Let's first look at the packaging:
At first glance they look very very alike, except for one obvious difference:
As you can see, the fake one doesn't have the number label. 
Now let's look at the back. The one on the right is the original, the left one is fake:
Exactly the same?? Not quite, although the differences are very very minor. In the next photo, the one on the left is the original one. I've circled the parts that are missing on the fake one.  As for the writing, they're exactly the same.
Right= original. Left= fake
Now let's look at the product itself:
This is where the differences are much more obvious. The replica version is much more orangey, while the original is more of a peach colour. The bottle holding the liquid itself for the fake one is a bit taller than the original AND much more glossy. By glossy I mean look at the way the light is reflecting the bottle. 
Now let me show you the bottom of the bottle:
As you can see, the labels are totally wrong. The numbers correspond to the three different shades this eyebrow mascara comes in. 01 is Milk Tea, Mocha is 02, while 03 is Cocoa. If you look at the replica version, it has 01 written at the top, then in the middle 03 ココア (Cocoa). It also has that extra AJ1 written at the bottom. Now looking at the original we see a big red code stamped on it, which is clearly not present on the replica one. As for the writing, again, they're both the same. 

I then tested the products unto my sister's eyebrows (because mine are practically non-existent).
The replica one is super clumpy and orangey. After a few minutes it also turns into powder. If you touch it it actually crumbles off. On the other hand, the original one glides on better. Although I still don't like the colour. It's still quite yellow/orange. It doesn't coat all of her eyebrows. It took me a good few strokes for it to get covered enough. Yes, an eyebrow pencil or powder will do the trick, but I still prefer the Kiss Me Heavy Rotation eyebrow mascara. I'll tell you why in another post next time .

But of course that's just my opinion. Some people love the Dolly Wink eyebrow mascara. I personally don't. But I guess because the brand is very popular lot's of people think it's good. Moreover, if the brand isn't popular, no one will be making replicas of it. I once read a review of Dolly Wink's eyebrow pencil where the blogger mentioned that the quality of the pencil itself was very cheap. I do think Dolly Wink is a bit overpriced when bought from online sellers like Shoppingholics. They sell this at €16/ $21. But if you buy it in Japan, the eyebrow mascara is retailed at ¥1050, which is around €7/ $12~. I got mine on sale for €6. 

So. As for the original Dolly Wink Eyebrow Mascara...
Packaging:    
Colour:         
Long-lasting:
Japan Price:  
International price:
Would I buy it again: NEVER AGAIN

There are many other pirated Dolly Wink products:

So if you really wanna buy this eyebrow mascara I just reviewed, or any Dolly Wink products, watch out for those replicas!! 


Follow on Bloglovin

11 comments:

  1. interessting post, didn't expected that ppl would copy this brand so hardcore... I mean, for myself dolly wink isn't special enough to do so.
    you did a good job with showing the copies off :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i totally agree ^^;
      and thank you thank you! : )

      Delete
  2. love the post, however i just wanna point out that it's a replica not a dupe (dupes are what you describef as another brand copying another and producing a similar product), whereas replicas are producing an exact copy of a brand. i look forward to seeing your post on the kiss me heavy rotation eyebrow mascara though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I see! Thank you so much :D I'll go change that now!

      Delete
    2. Actually, I'll just leave it as is. I think I said 'dupe' about a hundred times there...
      But thank you for pointing it out! Definitely won't be making that mistake again ^^;

      Delete
  3. Nice post. :) I once bought replicas..I was sure that it was the original. I don't remember the brand of cosmetics. Your post is interesting. ^^ I follow your blog now. :)

    itscutebubbles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there : ) Yeah same. I asked my cousin to get me the fake one, without knowing that it's fake! Oh well. That's how we learn. And thank you! I followed you back ^^

      Delete
  4. Hello, I follow back fpr GFC ang blogovin. Thanks a lot.
    Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post! I don't use eyebrow mascara, but I generally love Dolly wink products. It's honestly a big creepy how there are so many replicas... who knows whats in the ingredients. o.o Scary...

    Junniku blog [Click!] (Korean beauty blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi June : ) Oh yeah I know what you mean O.O The fact they basically copied the packaging means we'll never know what's in it, which I'm pretty sure is illegal : /

      Delete
  6. Haha! I also bought a replica from a street stand for a dollar. I did not know if I was putting it on correctly or if I was just dumb. Good thing I came across this blog post! ^^

    ReplyDelete